Magura, Rekluse or Clake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magura, Rekluse or Clake?

I've got a 2015 WR250F with stock cable clutch, I find myself getting some arm pump from working the clutch as I get into the return leg of my rides and I'm thinking a lighter clutch would help with that.

Magura hydraulic clutch conversion is supposed to reduce the effort by 20-30% and is the cheapest. Clake offers the one light clutch that's supposed to reduce effort by 75% or the expensive version that also gets you left hand rear brake. Other option is to go Rekluse and not need to use the clutch near as much, also fairly expensive tho.

I'm fairly certain the Rekluse would step my game up pretty significantly but I guess my concern with that is if I ever get good at this dirt bike stuff they say it can be a limitation for certain advanced techniques.

Stick with the clutch. It makes you a better rider in the long run without the help of a rekluse etc. If anything the hydraulic conversion would be all that I would do.

Comment

Originally posted by TRDYamahauler View Post
      Magura hydraulic clutch conversion is supposed to reduce the effort by 20-30% and is the cheapest. Clake offers the one light clutch that's supposed to reduce effort by 75% or the expensive version that also gets you left hand rear brake.
      The magura provides so much more than just reduced effort though, it's also increased feel and control. It won't be long until you are an artiste with that clutch finger, it is like having the clutch attached DIRECTLY TO YOUR BRAIN.... you have SO much precise control and once that happens subconsciously you can get up damn near anything. You will never go back to cable!!

I personally don't understand the rekluse craze. Mastery of using the clutch is the *fun* part, what point is there in riding without that? I got over the no clutch thing after begging my parents to upgrade me to an XR100 from my CT70.

Comment

Rekluse all the way. You got better things to do than worry about doing something a machine can do better.

Comment

I've got a magura on my Husky, but I changed the lever to a Midwest Mountain Engineering one - lighter pull, larger engagement zone, Two-finger/shorty length (so one or two fingers on the lever, and the other two wrapped around the bars) and much cheaper than a Clake setup (if you've already got hydraulic - in your case I'm not sure what the cost diff would be in the end). I've never ridden a bike with a Rekluse, but I feel that you'd have better, more precise control without it.

My previous bike had a cable clutch and I put one of the Moose Racing 'easy pull' gadgets on it - gave you 3 levels of 'pull' (by putting the fulcrum in 1 of 3 positions), so you could adjust to your taste. It lightened up the clutch pull, but still wasn't as smooth as a hydraulic, but was only about $60.

Comment

I covet those Midwest Engineering levers.. they will likely be the first non-armouring mod for the 250XC.

I knew if I trolled a bit on the rekluse thing someone would come along supporting them :) If you can borrow someone's bike with one and try it, maybe you will find you love it!

For me it is a ride down memory lane I am just not into.

Comment

2015 WR250f eh. I have the same bike and year. I have lubed the clutch cable a couple times per year and then replaced it after a year with a new one. I bet a new cable is good for a 20% reduction in clutch pull and it costs about $20. I love the cable clutch. When it leaks oil I know it's cause I over lubed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                Rekluse all the way. You got better things to do than worry about doing something a machine can do better.
                Better things to do like grabbing the now neccesarry handlebar mounted rear brake to keep you from freewheeling backwards down the hill.I think its time for you to hang up the helmet,Mildman.

Comment

Over 10 years ive done all three. First of all rekluse sucks. Period. Unless were talking core manual.

Mangura set up not bad. Beats the cable.

Clake. I just bought it about a year ago. Amazing. You wont regret it. Worth the money ten fold. The only regret i have is spending all these years and money on the other stuff.

Comment

Also i should clarify. Im talking clake one light clutch. The have other fancy levers. Looks confusing, keep it simple.

Comment

Originally posted by velvet fog View Post

Better things to do like grabbing the now neccesarry handlebar mounted rear brake to keep you from freewheeling backwards down the hill.I think its time for you to hang up the helmet,Mildman.
                      Was not sure what you were talking about. I guess you only roll back if you don't make the hill.
                      Oh yeah, I was going to ask you - have you looked into assisted living yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post

Was not sure what you were talking about. I guess you only roll back if you don't make the hill.
                        Oh yeah, I was going to ask you - have you looked into assisted living yet?
                        Yup

I'm going here 2d85c007b5300db33cce54bc3134f924.jpg

Comment

Hey guys, moved to Arizona for 6 months and have been racing since I moved. If your riding for fun sure, ride without a Rekluse, if you want to keep up and have a remote chance of winning get a Rekluse and left hand rear brake. Yes some of the magic is lost but not really, you just do everything at a higher speed. Unless your Graham Jarvis there is no way anyone with a foot break can feather the rear break like the feel of a hand brake. This is from my personal experience at a B rider level, pros may think differently but I have a day job and don't spend 6 hours per day on a bike. When your winning the B class trophie every race I'd say yeah go ahead and remove that Rekluse but until then the Rekluse lets you focus on other key elements like not putting your feet down in technical areas and throttle control.

Comment

IMHO.If winning a shitty plastic trophy is important and because it came down to a stall that put you out of contention to getting one by all means,go for it.I personally think that using a auto clutch is limiting.You dont see trials riders using them and you never will.From my own experiances here in Kamloops I've yet to see a auto clutch rider surpass a equally capable manual clutch rider on trickey,slippery technical hill climbs.Making mistakes and learning the tricks of the trade builds character and is much more rewarding than bolting on a crutch for the purpose of compensating for a weak ego and a lack of moral fibre,crippled up old men not withstanding.
                            Last edited by velvet fog; April 22nd, 2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Hahahahh, all valid points. Hey once you've mastered the other skills moving away is fine, I think I'm getting closer to going without the auto clutch. The auto clutch has taught me a lot especially when doing my first couple 50 mile enduros, my next bike will be setup with a Midwest Clutch lever and a left hand rear brake for the gnarly down hills.

Comment

Working...
                              X