No announcement yet.

Magura, Rekluse or Clake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bear in mind that 70% of the total stopping power comes from the front brake,tires a significant factor as well.If downhills spook you try freewheeling in a tall gear while modulating the clutch to avoid lockup.Dont listen to anything that wacky Tom suggests.He packs a emergency tin foil sombrero in his fanny pack for those special cosmic interludes that only seem to transpire in his neighbourhood..
    Last edited by velvet fog; April 23rd, 2017, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I'm just a cranky old woman, but my opinion is that everyone should learn to ride and get proficient on a bike that has a kickstarter, carb and a real clutch. Once you've learned the core skills and hopefully mastered riding and tuning a motorcycle, so ahead and take the easy way out with e-start, FI and the clutch out of a CRF70. This sport is not intended to be easy. It's difficult, that's the main reason it's so bad-ass. I've seen a properly applied Rekluse make a good rider better, but I've also seen them make poor riders even worse. Riders who do not know how to tune or set-up a bike many times end up with a Rekluse with excessive slip and an overheating motorcycle. Really twists me up to see someone with a Rekluse just pick a gear and (right or wrong) use that for everything, while failing to master most obstacles, but getting through in a sloppy and bike abusing manner. A person needs to fully understand the mechanics of a motorcycle before trying to set-up and get some benefit from a Rekluse, unfortunately there's no IQ or skill test required before buying one.

Long live the conventional clutch! I paid good money for a motorcycle with a perfectly good clutch in it and am tough enough & smart enough to know how to use it up to the limit of my talent. That's good enough for me.

Comment

I think you nailed it Neanderthal. Freewheel gives you absolute control on downhills. Who in hell wants to yank the clutch every time you hit the steep?
        Will save the advanced technique for the A riders.
        One factor not yet mentioned is the ability to keep your entire hand grabbing the grip.
        On a side note, there is a local rider that slants his levers above the bar. Any one else do this?

Comment

You clearly dont understand the concept of coasting down a hill letting the engine compression slow you down.ie jacobs brake.Or maybe you misunderstood,misread or forgot what riding without a auto clutch is like?Cmon up next time it rains.I've got a hill for ya that will make you have second thoughts about locking up on decent.I pussied out and bulldoged down and I'm not even ashamed.You can show me the correct way.And bring your bike bike .I'm not sure the tiddler can make the climb,though I may be wrong.Either way get your ass up here.I need a epic ride.
          Last edited by velvet fog; April 24th, 2017, 10:25 AM.

Comment

OK old man, thanks for clearing this up. I was referring to the quickest way down the hill, not the slowest. Tried engine braking on your 450? See ya back at camp!
            You are so close, i will share. The advanced technique is, of course, holding a little throttle while braking. Perfect for changing lines across that nasty rain rut.
            Hey Z, do you still run coal in the machinery around the ranch?

Comment

Guys running the Midwest Engineering levers, does it make much difference on the hydraulic clutch KTM setups? Worth it?

Comment

My bike came with a hydraulic conversion on a cable clutch. Gas Gas just did it that way when they used the WR250 motor. I'm a former road racer and know SFA about clutch control. Thus it was Rekluse for me and after two full seasons I'd never go back to a manual clutch. Why would I want to make the bike harder to ride? I'm seeing a lot more people go to the Rekluse because it makes riding just fun, without all the frustration of spinning and stalling over technical terrain. Generally I yell, "Team Rekluse" at my buddies stuck on a hill when I power past them. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by GRW View Post
                  Guys running the Midwest Engineering levers, does it make much difference on the hydraulic clutch KTM setups? Worth it?
                  I'm riding a Husky with the (stock) Brembo hydraulic clutch and to me the MME is well worth having - a dramatic improvement in clutch control for me.

Comment

I personally love my Rekluse EXP 3.0, agreed that it made the riding experience more fun, especially at Mcnutt, really doesn't help much in flowy terrain. Been riding with it for two years and thinking it might be time to put the stock clutch back in and add the MME lever

Comment

Comment

About 2/3 of my bikes have had Rekluse clutches on them, and the other 1/3 stock. My thoughts: (1) The Rekluse allows me to get into areas that I would otherwise have trouble. (2) The Rekluse does make it easier to ride for me, which increases the fun factor. (3) When I get back on my conventional clutch bikes, I realize that my clutch technique is shite because I have been relying on the Rekluse on other bikes. This is frustrating. Part of the fun is exploring new areas and part is getting better with each ride. I find that the Rekluse is contradictory for these two goals.

For now, I am trying to run stock, but when I have one of those bad days that we all have, I find myself longing for the Rekluse again. I'm hoping I improve with my clutch control so I stop wanting the Rekluse again.

That's my $0.02; I see both sides of the argument pretty clearly.

Comment

Working...
                        X