Swing arm bearings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swing arm bearings

Anyone got any good tricks for replacing swing arm bearings. I got this far, I may as well get em while I'm here.

Did you end up replacing the bearings or just repacking them? Swingarm bearings can be a real bugger to remove.

Comment

I got replacements, but have not installed them yet. Work and family have not let me play.

Comment

Started to remove shaft, no give. This is going to be fun!

Comment

I completely destroyed the shaft in the Gasser it was corroded so bad.
          Good luck!

Comment

you need to heat the shit out of the shaft both ends with an oxy/acetylene torch. shaft is hollow, flame will go down hole. then pound the end with a 2 lb sledge ( put the nut on first) once it starts to go take the nut off and use a drift. this usually works but i have had to cut them out with a sawzall

Comment

Originally posted by superdave View Post
              you need to heat the shit out of the shaft both ends with an oxy/acetylene torch. shaft is hollow, flame will go down hole. then pound the end with a 2 lb sledge ( put the nut on first) once it starts to go take the nut off and use a drift. this usually works but i have had to cut them out with a sawzall
              Heating thus expanding the shaft seems backward. Are you fuckin with him?
              Of course you are. Obvious when you mentioned sawzall!! Do you cut slots in the frame and pound screwdrivers in?

Comment

WD40 with a couple of hits, then let it sit for an hour, a few more hits in both directions and out it came. But then I saw how bad the bearings/needles were. Dry and locked up in pieces.

Comment

when you heat the shaft (which is the only thing you can heat) you heat all the other components as well. the resulting expansion will assist in breaking the corrosive bond. You can then pound it out (usually). It has to be a big torch, little propane one wont do it. I also have a cryogenic spray which you can spray on parts to cool them rapidly, allowing for greter effect. I have obviously had to deal with this more than most, and yes, I have had to get the sawzall between the frame and swing arm on both sides in order to cut the shaft and pull the swing arm out

Comment

Swinger bearings really need to be cleaned and repacked annually if not every 6 months. Last year I didn't do them and when I pulled them apart the needles were full of dirt. :(

As I had everything apart, I took the time to machine up delrin spacers that completely fill the space between the bearing cage and the dogbones, along with an exterior shield. Hopefully this will be slow the ingress of dirt and grit into the bearings.

Comment

Working...
                    X